Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Closing Thoughts

    This semester has been a whirlwind and seems to be over before it has even started. I am normally ecstatic for the semesters to end and for a break to ensue but this fall semester is different. This is my last. And as I run down the list of last mondays, last essays, last paragraphs, the one I find to be most sad is the last Sexson class. This class was daunting to me the first few days, but I stuck with it because I knew Sexson would make it all ok and I would regret it if I didn't in the end.
      The Lucritan Sublime in the poetry of Wallace Stevens .....What a title for a class. If that wasn't intimidating enough, my classmates have proven themselves brilliant and dedicated. I have to say that this might be the one class from my college career that really sticks with me. I have enjoyed nearly every minute of it and was constantly impressing myself with the new thoughts and ideas I would have about Stevens and the sublime.
     I think Eli said it perfectly...
"It should also be added that by reading Stevens poetry one will acquire a love for poetry."

  I too have found a love for poetry and it has been a direct result of this class and the guiding words of Stevens. I thought Biz's poem about Wallace Stevens' bio was perfect, and should be exactly what the wikipedia article says. 

   Thank you to Dr. Sexson and thank you to my classmates. I feel that the only appropriate way to end this class is to leave you all with another one of my favorite sublime paintings. I will give you guys the freedom to read and create your own interpretations from it and see Stevens where and how you want with in it. 
                                   This is by Joseph Turner titled Snow Storm.


No comments:

Post a Comment